The most important activity anyone considering fish farming should conduct is developing and writing a business plan. You will find several documents to review under Business Planning. One of the documents provided is a business planning start-up kit. This kit will walk you through the entire process of writing a business plan.
In addition to the material provided on this Web site, contact information for several aquaculture experts within Indiana who can help you get started is provided under Contacts.
Also, check out this free, five-part video series that offers an in-depth look key issues in fish farming by the Ohio Center for Aquaculture Research and Development at Ohio State University South Centers.
- Harvesting Freshwater Prawn, youtu.be/DkYcaf7BQHI
- Harvesting Yellow Perch, youtu.be/hWEwWavuMEU
- Organic Pond Fertilization for Yellow Perch Fry Production, youtu.be/MO9wILDnYv4
- Spawning Yellow Perch, youtu.be/J6Ay4eLKtKw
- Water Quality Testing for Fish Farmers, youtu.be/NQ7NvZCFLA0
Please note that much of the information at this Website is contained in PDF documents, which require Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is free for anyone to use.
Here are some of the basic steps and another way to navigate the information on this Web site.
- Develop a business and marketing plan
- Determine your production system
- Get proper Permits and understand State and Federal Regulations
- Identify reliable suppliers for feed and other materials